If you haven’t already read the first Financing Study Abroad post on the blog, explaining total costs of each trip, you can find it here! In this post, let’s discuss external scholarships: where you can find them, how you can get them, and how you can transfer those funds over to Go Global.
At Go Global, we want every student who is interested in studying abroad to have the opportunity to learn, grow, and explore through travel. If you know that you’ll need to turn to scholarships, have no fear. Don’t let the costs of the trip hinder you from having a life-changing experience. This is the post for you to learn about all of the possibilities that can help make this dream a reality.
For starters, let’s list some websites where study abroad scholarships can be found:
After doing your own research (through using these sites and many, many other sites that can be found all over the web!), select the scholarships that you are deciding to apply for. Complete the applications and submit all required materials. Some tips for winning a scholarship according to Fastweb…
1. Start as soon as possible, and apply for as many as possible.
2. Answer all of the optional questions on a scholarship matching website for twice as many scholarship matches.
3. Look for local scholarships at your school: in your guidance counselor’s office, on bulletin boards, financial aid offices, or the library’s jobs and careers office. It is also a good idea to check with your Greek organization.
4. Apply for every scholarship for which you are eligible.
5. Apply for the smaller, less competitive scholarships. They can add up and end up saving you more money than you realized.
6. Do not miss the scholarship deadlines!
7. Tailor your application to the sponsor’s goals. Review and edit carefully.
8. Write your essays with passion and enthusiasm. Be personal.
9. Remove any inappropriate or immature content on your Facebook page. Clean up your presence on social media.
10. Use a professional email address and have a professional presence on the Internet, such as a LinkedIn account.
11. Ask for help editing your essay, and proofread a printed copy.
Now let’s fast forward — if you’ve won a scholarship, congratulations! Now you’ll need to transfer those funds over to Go Global to help pay for your trip. Here’s how you can do this:
The scholarship should be awarded directly to the student, and the student can write Go Global a check. If the scholarship needs to be sent directly to Go Global or to Oglethorpe University, it can be mailed to 1188 Providence Pl Decatur, GA 30033, and you can contact the Go Global team to let them know that it’s coming in the mail!
As always, if you have any questions about financing study abroad, remember to contact Beth Ann at email@example.com. We are passionate about helping you get abroad with us, whatever it takes!
-Anna and the Go Global team